Shaw Music Studios's facilities include a control room and studio area. The control room (also known as "the crib") houses the super computer, musical instruments, keyboard, studio monitors, and pre-amps. It is the heart of technical operations.
Built for comfort, the studio area or booth (also known as "the boom box") is spacious as well as very functional and houses the headphones and amp. In contrast to the control room it has a funkier look and provides an ideal acoustical space to accurately record.
Shaw Music Studios, a division of Ibilion, is run by Jonathan G. Shaw, a professional record producer, sound engineer and music businessperson.
Services provided by the business are:
- Composition and suggesting music material to record
- Music arranging and sequencing
- Scoring and music notation
- Suggesting and hiring session musicians to perform
- Supervision of rehearsals
- Performing both control room and studio work at recording sessions
- Guiding the artist's performance
- Post production work including editing, mixing and mastering
- Band, a capella and small choir recordings
- Radio, commercial and advertisement work such as jingles, audio branding, corporate videos and voice-overs
- Audio restoration and forensics
- Digital music marketing services
GENERAL STUDIO INFO
The following information will help you make the most of using our music studio services:
- Office hours: I work virtually, just send a message or set up time for a video call. As we work around the world, we'll just need to find a common time to connect. You can get us by phone Tuesdays to Saturdays between 09:00 and 18:00 CAT. The studio can be booked during this time and most evenings, except Friday and Saturday evenings. Monday is an admin-only day and I also lecture in the afternoons. We are aclosed on Sundays.
- Please allow time to finish your production. Rushing means crushing! Creativity has no deadline! Let us be our best for you and don't pressure us. To avoid disappointment, make sure you plan your production advance. We are constantly receiving enquiries and bookings and for us to get you the time you need, we'll need to get your 50% holding deposit timely and be able to schedule your production accordingly within our studio diary. I encourage you confirm with us once a deposit is paid.
- Referencing: I believe in giving you uniform quality that meets our and your expectations. To do this, we will often ask you to supply a final master recording (if you haven't worked with us before) that you believe meets this expectation and we will do our best to match your audio to this. Ultimately this allows us to demonstrate we can deliver on your sound, and meet industry, release and media requirements.
- Production packages: These packages are convenient to independent artists and labels that are looking for high value music productions.
- Mixing package: Deliver separate instrument / vocal tracks, unclipped, in .wav format (or equivalent) all starting from the "0" position. Record them in 24 bit with -10dBFS headroom. A sample rate of 96 kHz is recommended, although not lower than 44.1 kHz. Audio tracks that do not conform to this standard will not be mixed. The more detail and quality of tracked audio you supply, the better your mix. If you can supply full audio in a Pro Tools session, even better. One revision of the mix is included in the fee. We deliver 24 bit 96 kHz audio files of the final song, radio edit, backtrack and instrumental.
- Mastering package: Mix files must be delivered in 24 bit, stereo interleaved or LR WAV format (or equivalent), with between -10dBFS to -6dBFS headroom (no clipping) and an RMS of between -20dBFS to -18dBFS. Do not apply fades to your final mix output and leave sufficient silence before and after the music. Buss compress to taste but if in doubt supply a mix with and without buss compression. Do not convert: supply in the original format and resolution. A sample rate of 96 kHz is recommended, although not lower than 44.1 kHz. Audio mixes that do not conform to this standard will not be mastered. Supply applicable music references. One revision of the master is included in the fee. We deliver the data (WAV) master in 16 bit, 44.1 kHz optimised for streaming services and other resolutions for different formats (CD, vinyl) on request. CD authoring, MP3 tagging and music retail aggregation is charged at additional rates, please complete our metadata form accurately if you require these and supply high resolution artwork.
- Billing: Please fill out our client information sheets to facilitate bookings, billing and tagging. Please note that price currencies include foreign exchange handling fees.
- Increases: rates customarily increase annually on 1 August but are subject to change. Contact us to confirm the latest rates list.
CORPORATE AND MEDIA WORK
Shaw Music Studios has worked with many media houses including HDI Youth Marketeers, Okuhle, Nonzero Agency, Arctic Media, Wia Media, Main Market, Tomfoolery, Tongue Twisters, Autumn DVD, BigSky Productions, Community Media Trust, HWB Communications, VerBatim, Just Like That Productions and others for brands such as:
Check out this ad from Game SA and SBS, where the product voice-over was recorded by us, for ad agency Tomfoolery:
The audio for the below corporate video was recorded by us as well as edited into the video for Land and Sea Shipping:
The voice over for the below corporate video was recorded by us with VO artist Sigrid for Just Like That Productions for African Bank:
MIXING AND MASTERING SAMPLES
Below are samples of mixing and mastering work by Jonathan G. Shaw:
Shaw Music Studios | Ibilion offers interships to Music, Sound Engineering, and Cultural & Arts Management students. Download this brochure and study its contents carefully: Internships at Shaw Music Studios | Ibilion. The intership process is temporarily suspended during the state of disaster in South Africa
© 2021 Ibilion Records cc t/a Jonathan G. Shaw. All rights reserved. Reg. No.: CK 2006/127489/23